In Vitro & Alternative Toxicology
Non-Animal, In Vitro Testing Solutions.
Alternative Ocular Irritation Assays
Bovine Corneal Opacity and Permeability Assay (BCOP)
- Excised bovine corneas model
- Measures two endpoints; 1) changes in opacity, reflecting protein denaturation and corneal injury, and 2) fluorescent dye permeability reflecting damage to corneal epithelium
- Optional histological endpoint is available (H & E staining)
- Measurement of pro-inflammatory mediators in liberated corneal cells (by flow cytometry or ELISA)
HET-CAM - Hen's Egg Test - Chorioallantoic Membrane (HET-CAM)
- Fertilized chicken egg model
- INVITTOX PROTOCOL Number 47
Chorioallantoic Membrane Vascular Assay (CAMVA)
- Fertilized chicken egg model
- Measures hemodynamic effects, injury, and anti-angiogenic effects to the membrane microvasculature
- Especially useful for alcohol-containing formulations
Porcine Cornea Reversibility Assay (PorCORA)
- Uses excised porcine cornea normally discarded
- Corneas maintained in culture for up to 21 Days
- Measures "Days to Recover" after exposure to possible Irritants
- Allows discrimination between Severe Irritant and Ocular Corrosive
Replacement Ocular Battery (ROBatt)
- Uses tiered testing strategy of alternative ocular irritation assays (CAMVA, BCOP, PorCORA, PorFocal) to determine regulatory classification of a test material without the use of live animals.
- Currently Under Development
OptiSafe™ Non-Animal Ocular Irritation Test (OptiSafe™)
- An in vitro test method in which a test substance is applied to a semi-permeable membrane. Damage to macromolecules in the membrane is measured to assess the test substance’s potential to cause eye irritation.
- Can be used to determine the irritation potential of cosmetics, creams, and a wide variety of consumer products. Results are presented as GHS, EPA classifications, an ocular irritation score and class.
In Vitro Ocular Irritation Assays
MatTek EpiOcular™ In Vitro Ocular Irritation Test
- OECD TG 492 Reconstructed human Cornea-like Epithelium (RhCE) test method
- MatTek in vitro 3D EpiOcular™ model for ocular irritation
- Three Dimensional Human Ocular Tissue Equivalent
Keratinocyte/Fibroblast Viability Assay (Neutral Red or MTT)
- Cells are representative of the eye and skin epithelium
- Normal human primary epidermal keratinocytes or fibroblasts (or mouse keratinocytes and fibroblasts)
- Human cells are derived from neonatal, adolescent, or aged donors
- Cytokine expression or release (LDH, PGE-2, interleukins) can be measured
- Low serum or serum free protocol options are available
Keratinocyte Proliferation (turnover) Assay
- Using primary human cell or mouse cell lines in serum-free or low serum media
- Rate of proliferation or apoptosis is measured by vital dye uptake (MTT or neutral red) or by BrdU incorporation and flow cytometry
Dermal Irritation Assays
Three Dimensional Human Skin Equivalent Systems
The 3D models available at MB Research (MatTek EpiDerm™, SkinEthic systems and CellSystems EpiCS®) allow the application of the test material directly to the "skin" surface and permit the assessment of dermal toxicity via a wide variety of parameters.
- Cytotoxicity via MTT, neutral red viability assay, or flow cytometry
- Histological examination (H & E) of the epidermal layers, including the stratum corneum
- Measurement of inflammatory mediator and lytokine release (PGE-2, nitric oxide, TNFa, IL1a, and other interleukins)
- Dissolution of the tissue equivalent into a single cell suspension,
with subsequent flow cytometric analysis allows evaluation of gene
expression and peroxide production (antioxidant status of cells)
Dermal Corrosivity Assays
- An accepted alternative to the Draize rabbit corrosivity test that recently has been validated by ICCVAM for use for DOT, FHSA, CPSC, EPA and FDA testing
- Allows Packing Group assignment of test materials
- Can be used to compare the relative corrosivity of materials within Packing Groups for product development purposes. See www.corrositex.com for more information.
MatTek EpiDerm™ Corrosivity Test
- Validated by ECVAM and ICCVAM as an in vitro alternative corrosivity test based on human skin cells
- Allows testing of material not compatible with Corrositex™
- With 3T3 mouse fibroblast cells via the EC/COLIPA validated protocol. See www.3t3nru.com for more information.
- Using 3D Tissue Construct protocols.
- Human keratinocytes or fibroblasts
MB Research also performs other in vitro and alternative assays. Please refer to our Capabilities List or feel free to contact a Client Services Representative for assistance.